As established by law (see SDCL 3-20-1) state employees who meet certain criteria are eligible for a reduced tuition program. Eligibility requirements include the following:
- Continuous employment with the state of South Dakota for a minimum of one year
- Position classification of benefits-eligible
- Established residency in South Dakota
- Cumulative collegiate GPA (grade point average) of 2.0 or higher
- Good employment standing
Following eligibility verification, assessed tuition rate for one to six credit hours (per semester) will be reduced; this reduction is equal to 50% of the current resident rate for course work that is classified as state-support (primarily those classes that entail face-to-face instruction provided on a main university campus). Example: IF the current resident tuition rate were $120, then the reduction afforded to state employees would equal $60 per credit hour.
See additional notes of relevance below:
- This reduction applies only to tuition, not to fees.
- Academic level of chosen course work may be undergraduate or graduate.
- Courses must involve face-to-face instruction provided on a main university campus or one of the three learning centers (Sioux Falls, Pierre, and Rapid City). Although courses offered at main campuses differ in tuition rate from those offered at learning centers, the same reduction (that is, dollar amount) is applied. For further explanation, please contact one of the offices listed below.
- The program does not include courses offered at off-main university campus locations beyond the learning centers or those that entail distance learning.
To apply for this reduced tuition program, review this letter and print a hard copy of the application; complete it as directed and then obtain certification as requested from your employer. Prior to course registration, submit the signed form to the Registrar’s Office at your regental university of choice.
Note: Approval is conferred only for the current term. Consequently, the application process must be completed every semester.
For follow-up questions, please contact the specified office at your chosen university:
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish: Student Financial Services/Business Office: 642-6941
- Dakota State University - Madison: Cashier's Office: 256-5271
- Northern State University - Aberdeen: JoEllen Lindner, Student Affairs/Enrollment Services: 626-2544
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City: Human Resources: 394-1203
- South Dakota State University - Brookings: Doris Ust, Human Resources: 688-4128
- The University of South Dakota - Vermillion: Registrar's Office: 677-5339