State law (SDCL 33-6-5 through 33-6-8) enabled a reduced tuition program which benefits National Guard members. Eligibility requirements are listed below:
- Established membership in a South Dakota national guard unit
- Satisfactory completion of initial basic training
- Submission of validating documents prior to or at the point of course registration
- Sustained unit membership throughout the entire semester for which tuition is reduced
- Satisfactory academic progress
After eligibility is validated, a benefit equal to 50% of the current resident tuition rate will be applied to reduce registration charges.
Notes of relevance:
- National Guard members who reside in states other than South Dakota qualify for this program if they belong to a South Dakota unit.
- Courses may include both state-support and self-support types; state-support courses primarily include those that are campus-based and involve face-to-face instruction. Self-support courses typically include those offered at learning centers and other off-campus locations as well as those that involve distance learning (on-line/correspondence courses). The university can provide further clarification.
- The program allows up to 128 credit hours at the undergraduate level and up to 32 credit hours at the graduate level.
- Continued eligibility must be verified each semester.
To apply for this exceptional program, please complete the SDNG Form 56 and contact the South Dakota Army National Guard Education Service Office at 605-737-6087. A departmental representative will facilitate the application process and serve as a liaison between you and your home university. For additional information, you may wish to visit South Dakota Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.
For follow-up questions pertaining to your status, please contact the university office specified below:
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish: Student Financial Services/Business Office: 642-6941
- Dakota State University - Madison: Veterans Office: 256-5648
- Northern State University - Aberdeen: JoEllen Lindner, Student Affairs/Enrollment Services: 626-2544
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City: Toni Schauer, Registrar and Academic Services Office: 394-2400
- South Dakota State University - Brookings: Veteran Services Office: 688-4986
- The University of South Dakota - Vermillion: Registrar's Office: 677-5339