SD Board of Regents
306 East Capitol Ave
Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501
605 773 3455
Reduced Tuition - Veterans

Background Information:


Through passage of SDCL 13-55-2, the state legislature created a reduced tuition program for veterans and selected others who performed war service.  Eligibility requirements include the following:

  • Current South Dakota residency (note: state of residency at the point of entry into military service is not a factor)
  • Classification as a veteran - as defined in SDCL 33A-2-1 - or an individual who performed active war service.
  • Qualifying service during a period of combat operations as delineated in SDCL 33A-2-2

A tuition waiver is granted to those who qualify.  The number of academic years for which the waiver is approved varies; this is driven by length of military service.  The minimum is one, and the maximum is four. 


Important notes:

  • The waiver applies exclusively to tuition (not to fees).
  • This program allows for completion of courses at the undergraduate (as opposed to graduate) level.
  • The tuition waiver is variable, depending on the nature of the course:
    • State-support (primarily those courses that are campus-based and involve face-to-face instruction):  full waiver
    • Self-support (typically those offered at learning centers and other off-campus locations as well as those that entail distance learning):  partial waiver
  • As stated in SDCL 13-55-3, this tuition waiver must be used within twenty years following cessation of hostilities or six years following honorable discharge – whichever comes later. 
  • This state-sponsored tuition program is not applicable if federal education benefits are available. 

Application Process:


To initiate the necessary application process, contact the South Dakota Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.  A departmental representative will facilitate completion of the E-11 form and serve as a useful liaison between you and your home university. 


Additionally, the staff at each university includes a member who possesses expertise in veterans' issues.  To make contact with this individual, reference the campus-specific link below: