International Student Insurance
For all foreign national students, BOR Policy 3:14
requires that you have credible health insurance as determined by the SD Board of Regents.
You are responsible for purchasing health insurance coverage that meets BOR Policy 3:14
requirements, any federal visa requirements, and any IRS regulations.
For detailed IRS regulations please visit:
NAFSA Affordable Care Act Information
The South Dakota Board of Regents has identified a health insurance plan design option for you outlined below.
You will be required to provide proof of coverage to your university representative. If you do not provide
proof of insurance, you will not be able to enroll in any SD Board of Regents university. However, under limited
circumstances, this requirement may be waived if a student provides adequate proof of coverage by completing the
Health Insurance Waiver Request Form.The following reasons will qualify you for a waiver of the health insurance requirement:
- Sponsored Student Insurance (Embassy, Government, NGO, etc. Does NOT include family-sponsored insurance.)
- Employer Sponsored Insurance (including Medical Evacuation and Repatriation) for Employees or Dependents
- Athletic Insurance for Primary Insurance Only
- Resident Alien for Tax Purposes
- ISEP or other official Exchange Program
- Home Country Coverage that Meets SDBOR Minimum Coverage Requirements (detailed on Form B) and is Valid in the United States
- Students must first check with their international office to
determine if the insurance mandated by their home government is
eligible for a waiver.
GeoBlue International Health Insurance: https://www.geobluestudents.com/
Outside the U.S.: +1-610-254-8771
(Collect Calls Accepted)
Inside the U.S.: 1-800-257-4823
* Please search for your university in the search function of the website to ensure you get enrolled in the proper plan.
Plan Design Options:
For incoming students in Fall 2020, proof of coverage is required by the add/drop date, August 28th, 2020,
as specified by the academic calendar and should be provided to your international student advisor. If you
do not provide proof of coverage you will be withdrawn from enrollment at your university unless you are
attending South Dakota State University. International Students at SDSU, who have not provided proof of
coverage, will be automatically enrolled in the GeoBlue Enhanced Plan and the costs associated with this
plan will be added to the student's tuition and fees account balance. Representatives for each university
are listed below: