Critical Teaching Needs Scholarship – Frequently Asked Questions
Parents / Students
What are the critical need areas for the 2017-2018 academic year?
- Teacher - Elementary or Secondary Special Education
- Teacher - High School Career or Technical Education
- Teacher - Secondary Language Arts
- Teacher - High School Math
- Teacher - High School Science
- Teacher - Secondary World Language
|||What is the interest rate of the CTNS for the 2017-2018 academic year?
It is a fixed rate of 4.45%
What are the initial eligibility criteria to apply for Critical Teaching Needs Scholarship?
Agree in writing to stay in South Dakota and work in a critical teaching need occupation for five years after graduating from a participating postsecondary institution;
- Agree, through a promissory note, that failure to abide by employment requirement above will result in the scholarship being converted into an interest-bearing loan;
- Attend a participating South Dakota postsecondary institution as and undergraduate enrolled in your final two years of postsecondary education and be fully admitted in an elementary or secondary education program at the institution that is preparing you to work in a
critical need teaching area;
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident; and
- Have a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale, and an average of 2.8 GPA for all major coursework.
What is the process for verifying employment after graduation?
- Students have a one year grace period from the time of graduation to obtain employment.
- An employment verification form must be filled out and submitted annually by the recipient and their employer.
Employment Verification Form (Printable PDF)
Employment Verification Form (Electronic)
Do you need to be a Regents Scholar in order to qualify for the Critical Teaching Needs Scholarship?
- No, because these are two different programs, you do not have to be a Regent Scholar to qualify for this particular scholarship.
|||Is Business Education a program that would fall under the Career & Technical Education area?
|||What is the Continuing Eligibility Criteria for receiving the Critical Teaching Needs Scholarship?|
(Must be maintained by those who are in the program to continue to receive their funding)
- Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale;
- Be considered a full-time student as defined by the college;
- Make satisfactory academic progress towards a degree; and
- Attend a participating South Dakota College.
|||Must a student be a South Dakota resident?
- Students do not need to graduate from a South Dakota high school or be a South Dakota resident, but they do need to be a U.S. citizen
or lawful permanent resident.