Children of Deceased Servicemen/women


Background Information


To honor deceased veterans, the South Dakota Legislature established a reduced tuition program for their children (see SDCL § 13-55-6).  Candidates include those children who are residents of the state of South Dakota and younger than twenty-five years of age.

In order for the child to qualify for this program, the parent must fit this profile:

  • Membership in the United States Armed Forces (branches delineated in SDCL § 13-55-7).
  • Performance of qualifying military service as described in SDCL § 33A-2-1
  • South Dakota residency for six or more months prior to entry into active service
  • Deceased; death resulting from any cause during service in the armed forces

After eligibility is established, a 100% tuition waiver will be awarded.



  • The waiver applies to tuition, but not to fees. 
  • This program includes only state-support courses - primarily those that are campus-based and involve face-to-face instruction.  It does not include courses that are offered at learning centers and other off-campus locations or those that entail distance learning. 



Application Process


  1. Print this form (E-12 Veteran’s Dependents or Survivors Application for Free Tuition); complete the top section.
  2. Submit the E-12 form to the South Dakota Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (website:  The department will provide the necessary validation and return the completed form to you. 
  3. Present the form to the Registrar’s Office at your home university. 

For additional details about this program, contact Shane Olivier at the SDDMVA (605-773-3648 or 605-773-4981).


University Contacts


For follow-up questions pertaining to the status of your application, please contact the specified university office:

  • Black Hills State University - Spearfish:  Sandra Crain, Veterans Affairs Office:  642-6415
  • Dakota State University - Madison:  Admissions:  256-5139
  • Northern State University - Aberdeen:  Ronald E. Brownie, Director, Online & Continuing Education/Military Veteran Affairs: 626-2568 or​ 
  • South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City:  Toni Schauer, Registrar and Academic Services Office:  394-2400
  • South Dakota State University - Brookings:  Michelle Kuebler:  688-4121
  • University of South Dakota - Vermillion:  Registrar's Office:  677-5339