Reduced Tuition - Children of deceased servicemen/women
To honor deceased veterans, the South Dakota Legislature established a reduced tuition program for their children (see SDCL 13-55-6).
Candidates include those children who are residents of the state of
South Dakota and younger than twenty-five years of age.
In order for the child to qualify for this program, the parent must fit this profile:
- Membership in the United States Armed Forces (branches delineated in SDCL 13-55-7).
- Performance of qualifying military service as described in SDCL 33A-2-1.
- South Dakota residency for six or more months prior to entry into active service
- Deceased; death resulting from any cause during service in the armed forces
After eligibility is established, a 100% tuition waiver will be awarded.
- The waiver applies to tuition, but not to fees.
- This program includes only state-support courses - primarily those
that are campus-based and involve face-to-face instruction. It does not include courses that are offered at learning centers and other off-campus locations or those that entail distance learning.
- Print this form (E-12 Veteran’s Dependents or Survivors Application for Free Tuition); complete the top section.
- Submit the E-12 form to the South Dakota Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (website: http://mva.sd.gov/default.html). The department will provide the necessary validation and return the completed form to you.
- Present the form to the Registrar’s Office at your home university.
For additional details about this program, contact Shane Olivier at the SDDMVA (605-773-3648 or 605-773-4981).
For follow-up questions pertaining to the status of your application, please contact the specified university office:
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish: Sandra Crain, Veterans Affairs Office: 642-6415
- Dakota State University - Madison: Admissions: 256-5139
- Northern State University - Aberdeen: JoEllen Lindner, Student Affairs/Enrollment Services: 626-2544
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City: Toni Schauer, Registrar and Academic Services Office: 394-2400
- South Dakota State University - Brookings: Michelle Kuebler: 688-4121
- The University of South Dakota - Vermillion: Registrar's Office: 677-5339