New or Readmitted Students – not a current student – Financial Aid Information
If you do not currently have access to our student information system, review the steps outlined below and then click on Student Portal to access your financial aid award information.
Here are the steps to log into the system:
1. After clicking on the link above, enter your Student ID in the “User ID” box, then click on the “Forgot PIN?” button.
a. You should have received your “Student ID” in an email sent to the email address you specified on your FAFSA. The ID will be in the format
b. If you receive the error message “Authorization Failure - Security Question is not set up” and are a current/past student or employee of the
South Dakota University system, then you will need to log in through the Current Student procedures instead of through this page.
2. You will then be presented with a security question. Enter your response to the question in the ‘Answer’ box, and then click the ‘Submit Answer’ button.
3. After correctly answering the security question, the next screen will allow you to reset your PIN. Enter the same value in the boxes labeled “New PIN” and
“Re-enter new PIN,” then click the “Reset PIN” button.
a. Your new PIN must be at least ten characters long, and contain both letters and numbers.
4. Once you have successfully logged into the system, click the tab labeled “Financial Aid”.
a. At this point, you will be prompted to choose a campus. Depending on the number of South Dakota universities you have listed on your
FAFSA, there may be multiple institutions in the dropdown list. You will need to choose the appropriate campus in the dropdown box
labeled “Select Campus,” then click the “Continue” button.
5. Follow the available links to review your financial aid requirements, holds, awards and more.
6. You can then review your Financial Aid information.
Financial Aid Offices
If you need assistance with Financial Aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at your institution:
Black Hills State University
Dakota State University
Northern State University
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
South Dakota State University
University of South Dakota
University Technical Help Desk