Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer
The South Dakota Board of Regents invites applications and nominations for an Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Board seeks a dynamic leader who can efficiently build upon a sound statewide academic tradition, supporting the higher education needs of more than 34,000 students, and approximately 5,000 employees. The South Dakota Board of Regents is the governing body for the state's six diverse universities and two special schools. The ideal leader will bring both stable leadership, and dynamic changes to South Dakota's public system of higher education. The system's annual operating budget is nearly $800 million dollars.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Executive Director must have a graduate degree from an accredited college or university, and is expected to bring seasoned management and leadership abilities to the system. The Board is seeking a forward-thinking leader with an understanding of national higher education trends and policy issues, and the South Dakota political landscape. The candidate should be an innovative, entrepreneurial, senior administrator. He or she will have demonstrated the ability to collaborate, establish partnerships, and communicate effectively to multiple stakeholders. The successful candidate will be expected to bring system wide constituencies together for the purpose of advancing the work of the South Dakota Board of Regents. The Executive Director and CEO will be a strong advocate for the system of public higher education and the special schools, and will collaborate with private industry and statewide political leaders to advance the system's goal of preparing the workforce for the state of South Dakota.
- Inspiring and collaborative leader;
- Excellent communication skills with ability to be a champion, face, and voice of the system;
- Demonstrated record of success in fiscal management, budgeting, and funding models;
- Savvy and experience in leading public policy development in a complex political environment;
- Ability to lead initiatives to identify potential inefficiencies, strategically analyze priorities and implement measures to create efficiencies and cost savings across the system;
- Ability to establish and encourage collaborative relationships between universities, technical and tribal colleges, and K-12;
- Direct experience working with diverse constituencies, including the legislature and state agencies, tribal nations, technical colleges, K-12, businesses, agriculture leaders, and residents from all parts of the state;
- Strong working knowledge of information technology capabilities and applications;
- Demonstrated ability to listen, communicate openly, and embrace the culture of the state;
- Experience in board development and effectiveness;
- Significant senior level administration experience in a higher education or public policy setting; and,
- Advanced degree is preferred, but not mandatory, if candidate demonstrates superseding exceptional skills.
The Board of Regents Office is located in Pierre, SD. Candidates must commit to living within the state of South Dakota, but may reside in a city other than Pierre with Board approval. The selected Executive Director will be required to reside in Pierre during the legislative session, the legislature convenes annually from mid-January to mid-March.
The SDBOR offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, the salary range for this position is $280,000 to $320,000, dependent upon experience and qualifications.