SDBOR Peer Analysis Dashboard
Universities are complex organizations. They serve many different purposes – and a variety of stakeholders – through a tremendous range of educational and administrative activities. Consequently, the performance of a university can (and should) be evaluated using a variety of methods. Tracking improvement over time, measuring progress toward a goal, or making projections about future trends are all valid approaches to institutional analysis.
Information about relative performance also can be important. Knowing how a university measures up against other similar schools can provide useful insights about institutional quality, and can help to identify both areas of strength and opportunities for improvement.
Accordingly, the SDBOR Peer Analysis Dashboard offers an interactive tool for comparing institutional data from South Dakota’s public universities to data from other four-year public universities across the United States. For any dashboard view, two institutional groups can be selected: (1) an analysis group, and (2) a comparison group. Comparison groups can be customized using an array of available filters. Then, for any indicator selected, data are shown comparing the two institutional groups. Data for this dashboard come from the federal Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Data Center, a publically-available repository of self-reported institutional data for US colleges and universities.
The dashboard indicates that, during the most recent year, SDBOR institutions had (on average)...
- ... lower average grant aid ($4,484) than did all other four-year public universities in the United States ($7,944)
- ... a higher average net price ($17,027) than did all other four-year public universities in the United States ($12,767)
- ... a higher six-year graduation rate (48.8 percent) than did all other four-year public universities in the United States (46.9 percent)
Source: NCES, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Data Center
- Analyzed institutions include all degree-granting, public four-year colleges and universities in the United States with the exception of tribal institutions, US service academies, and institutions with selected special-focus Carnegie classifications. Comparison groups can be customized using available filters.
- Reporting institutions are responsible for the accuracy of reported data. Data appear in the dashboard as reported to IPEDS; no additional editing has been performed. The dashboard is updated each spring using the most recent available data.
- Peer groups for SDBOR institutions were established in 2014 through a system-wide process (click HERE for more information). These peer groups have been updated over time, most recently in 2018. Individual institutions may use alternative peer groups for internal analytic purposes.
- Dollar figures are shown in nominal terms; they have not been adjusted for inflation.
- Detailed definitions of measures used in the dashboard are available HERE.