SD Board of Regents
306 East Capitol Ave
Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501
605 773 3455


Supplemental Retirement Options

Taxed Sheltered Annuity

403 (b)

The Regental System lists annuity providers if there is participation at the universities regardless of the contribution amount.   This is simply to provide the employee a list of 403(b) Annuity Service Providers.  

** NOTICE: The Regental System does not endorse or recommend any company authorized to sell Taxed Sheltered Annuities under the 403(b) plan.


403(b) Vendors

Retirement Manager is our retirement vehicle for our Tax Sheltered Annuities.  To learn more about our process, we have created some helpful guides.  They include

IRS Publication 571, Tax-Sheltered Annuity Programs for Employees of Public Schools and Certain Tax-Exempt Organizations , explains the rules of 403(b) plans. It is available online by clicking on the link above.   You can also find SDBOR plan information at


457 Supplemental Retirement

SDRS offers a supplemental retirement account for employees.  Please see for more information.


Special Pay Plan 401 (a)

Effective July 1, 2004, the legislature approved a 401(a) Special Pay Plan that is 100% participatory for all employees of the State and the Board of Regents who are age 55 or older and have a minimum of 2000 dollars payout from termination pay.  This plan is an investment where employees have the ability to shelter while investing all lump sum final payments as defined by SDRS.

South Dakota Retirement System


The Regental retirement plan is a defined benefit plan through the South Dakota Retirement System.

The South Dakota Retirement System's (SDRS) mission is to give members "... the opportunity to achieve financial security at retirement, death or disability by providing an outstanding, appropriate and equitable level of benefits."   For more information, please go to the South Dakota Retirement System's website.

SDRS offers on site individual counseling, regional retirement seminars and retirement income management workshops throughout the year.

If you desire to modify your beneficiary, please print out the beneficiary designation form, complete the form, and send to SDRS or provide to your HR office to send to SDRS for you.