WICHE stands for Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education; beyond South Dakota, states comprising the WICHE group include Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico, Alaska, and Hawaii. Undergraduate residents of these states qualify for the WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) tuition rate; this equates to 150% of the current resident rate.
- This special tuition rate applies only to state-support courses - for the most part, courses that are campus-based and involve face-to-face instruction. It does not apply to self-support courses - those that are offered at learning centers and other off-campus locations as well as those that entail distance learning.
- The regental system employs a standard fee structure; state of residency does not factor into calculation of fees.
For this particular program, no formal application is required. Eligibility is determined based on information provided on the application for undergraduate admission; approval is automatically conferred at the point of processing and then documented in the student information system.
For questions pertaining to your status, please contact the specified office at your chosen university:
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish: Admissions: 642-6343
- Dakota State University - Madison: Admissions: 256-5139
- Northern State University - Aberdeen: Allan Vogel, Admissions: 626-7600
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City: Graduate Office: 394-2493
- South Dakota State University - Brookings: Michelle Kuebler, Admissions: 688-4121
- The University of South Dakota - Vermillion: Registrar's Office: 677-5339