State law (SDCL 33-6-5 through 33-6-8) enabled a reduced tuition program which benefits National Guard members. Eligibility requirements are listed below:
- Established membership in a South Dakota national guard unit
- Satisfactory completion of initial basic training
- Submission of validating documents prior to or at the point of course registration
- Sustained unit membership throughout the entire semester for which tuition is reduced
- Satisfactory academic progress
After eligibility is validated, a benefit equal to 50% of the current resident tuition rate will be applied to reduce registration charges.
Notes of relevance:
- National Guard members who reside in states other than South Dakota qualify for this program if they belong to a South Dakota unit.
- Courses may include both state-support and self-support types; state-support courses primarily include those that are campus-based and involve face-to-face instruction. Self-support courses typically include those offered at learning centers and other off-campus locations as well as those that involve distance learning (on-line/correspondence courses). The university can provide further clarification.
- The program allows up to 128 credit hours at the undergraduate level and up to 32 credit hours at the graduate level.
- Continued eligibility must be verified each semester.
To apply for this exceptional program, contact the South Dakota Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. A departmental representative will facilitate the application process and serve as a liaison between you and your home university.
For follow-up questions pertaining to your status, please contact the university office specified below:
- Black Hills State University - Spearfish: Student Financial Services/Business Office: 642-6941
- Dakota State University - Madison: Veterans Office: 256-5648
- Northern State University - Aberdeen: Allan Vogel, Admissions: 626-7600
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology - Rapid City: Toni Schauer, Registrar and Academic Services Office: 394-2400
- South Dakota State University - Brookings: Veteran Services Office: 688-4986
- The University of South Dakota - Vermillion: Registrar's Office: 677-5339