In accordance with state law (SDCL 13-55-23 through 13-55-28), certain teachers and vocational instructors are eligible to participate in a reduced tuition program. Established criteria include the following:
- Current teacher certification granted by the South Dakota State Department of Education
- Present employment as a K-12 teacher or vocational instructor (validated by a signed teaching contract) within the state of South Dakota
- Continued employment or teaching certification contingent upon completion of collegiate course work
- South Dakota residency
- GPA (grade point average) of 3.0 or higher for any/all courses completed through this particular tuition program
For those individuals who establish eligibility, assessed tuition rate will be reduced by 50%. See relevant notes below:
- The maximal number of credit hours per academic year (fall, spring, summer) for this particular program is equal to six.
- This reduction in assessment of cost applies only to tuition, not to fees.
- The program allows for completion of either undergraduate or graduate course work.
- Courses of interest must involve face-to-face instruction provided on a main university campus - that is, coded as state support. The program does not include courses offered at learning centers or other off-campus locations or those that entail distance learning.
To apply for this reduced tuition program, click on the following link:
The application includes an introductory memo from Dr. Jack Warner, Executive Director and CEO for the South Dakota Board of Regents, and a form.
- Print a hard copy of the document.
- Complete the form as directed and then obtain official verification from your school superintendant or designee.
- Prior to course registration, submit the signed form to the Registrar’s Office at your regental university of choice.
Note: Approval is conferred only for the current term. Consequently, the application process must be completed every semester of participation.
For questions pertaining to the application process, please contact the School of Education at your chosen university:
Black Hills State University - Spearfish
Dakota State University - Madison
Northern State University - Aberdeen
South Dakota State University - Brookings
The University of South Dakota - Vermillion